Phonon::VideoWidget embedded inside a QGraphicsProxyWidget

Emdek emdeck at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 09:38:55 CET 2010

On 27-03-2010 at 06:06:35 Andreas Marschke <xxtjaxx at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Freitag 26 März 2010 20:48:35 schrieb Emdek:
>> On 26-03-2010 at 19:03:57 Alessandro Diaferia <alediaferia at gmail.com>
>>
>> wrote:
>> > As you currently may be aware of, embedding a Phonon::VideoWidget
>> inside
>> > QGraphicsProxyWidget causes the video appealing awfully while playing.
>> > I've
>> > been bouncing here and there on IRC talking with Lucas Murray from
>> KWin
>> > and
>> > Mark Kretschmann from Phonon.
>>
>> Someone tried this class from Qt 4.7?
>> http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/qgraphicsvideoitem.html
>>
>> Maybe this will be best solution (when 4.7 will be released)?
>>
> This seems to be for QtMultimedia framework that is now shipped with Qt
> since
> 4.6(?). But this here is more for the phonon side of things thus maybe
> not
> usable in conjunction right?

Yes, this is part of QtMultimedia, new multimedia API that (as far as I
know) meant to replace Phonon in Qt (will be dropped with Qt 5.0 or
something).
Phonon in Qt will be only maintained, not developed.
There was somewhere post on labs or somewhere about this...

Is this a big problem to use it in at least Plasma ()if works as it
should) if Phonon will be not supported anymore in Qt, only on KDE side
(and who knows what will happen later, I've not seen any comments from KDE
side about "killing" Phonon in Qt)?
If it is usable then I think that it's better to wait for stable release
and simply use it than reimplementing it (it is very bad for having two
APIs for one thing...).
Maybe it's better to work on something else than possibly wasting time?

Best regards,
Michal