Using DBusMenu in KStatusNotifierItem

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 10:53:29 CET 2010

On Friday 26 March 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On March 25, 2010, Matthieu Gallien wrote:
> > Should I provide through the data engine, the description of the menu and
> > a service to trigger the actions  (this solution would be more
> > complicated) ?
>
> is it even possible to put the data in the engine? iirc, the menu can be
> populated on demand when it is requested (similar to QMenu::aboutToShow()),
> which would mean that this should also go through the service.
>
> so i'd suggest just extending StatusNotifierItemService and see how that
> goes.

first of all, i would like to see dbus menu support merged into trunk asap :)

yes, with just a  read only thing is not possible due to abouttoshow..

but i wondoer: is really the proper place the statustotifier
dataengine/service? this is a way for generating menus, so it sounds way more
generic than that..
perhaps
a) its own dataengine/service or
b) valuable enough for a library that would become public with eventually its
own bindings

putting it into a dataengine feels quite natural since lists of
DataEngine::Data that eventually contain other Data describe a tree menu
sctructure quite well.

> either way, merging it with the tasks widget entries (which would be really
> nice) should be possible
yeah, it would probably be used to create qmenus as submenus of the current
one at first, eventually moving away from qmenus would be just a detail looked
at in a second time

--
Marco Martin