netbook reference, the polishing details

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Mon Mar 22 11:03:52 CET 2010

On Friday 19 March 2010 19:49:32 Marco Martin wrote:
> so when the netbook ui starts send quit to krunner, hmm, this should be
> done  all the times...
> there should probably be a global configuration switch that would be hitted
> by  the workspace config module.
> and herewe go in one of my pet annoyances about how the things work now:
> we need something prettier to manage this wanted difference of behaviour
> in  applications when we are in netbook mode, right now we have:
> -main plasma shell, start another one ;p
> -kwin: maximize windows by default, don't show iconify button and another
> thing i would like, use a regular grid for the present windows effect, with
> a  small screen with windows all of the same size makes way more sense
> -and now don't start krunner
>
> i'm seeing possibly other apps that would want a different space saving
> setup  in this case?
>
> i can continue changing their config files under their feet in the
> workspace  kcm like now but kinda feels wrong(tm) to me :/

As a sanity check, is switching between netbook and desktop workspaces a use
case that is important enough to spend effort on it?

A) Netbook users who just want one interface that works well.

B) Netbook users who want to use p-d with an external monitor

C) Netbook users who primarily use p-n but are curious about p-d

D) Developers and testers who sometimes use p-n on non-netbook machines

At a guess the first group is the largest and the later groups are much
smaller.

Will