Review Request: Load webslice params from desktop file

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Mar 20 08:07:55 CET 2010

On March 19, 2010, Petri Damstén wrote:
> On Friday 19 March 2010 17:51:04 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > it doesn't address similar issues such as:
> >
> > * "how can i ship custom data with my c++ plasmoid in a way that's easy
> > to get at" (having a package would solve that)
>
> What makes a package?

a file hierarchy described by a Plasma::PackageStructure.

> I see a desktop file in a zip a bare minimum package.

yes, that's the bare minimum.

> I think that package() should return valid pointer in C++ if it's launched
> with desktop file under plasma/plasmoids/ so other files can be accessed
> too.

that's one case, yes. another is a regular C++ plasmoid that would like to
bundle extra data.

> > * "what does a package that customizes a plasmoid like this look like?"
> > (it's not really a plasma/applet, is it? imagine if we had 900 comic
> > strip plasmoids showing up ;)
>
> There are several plasmoids in kde-look.org to some web services written in
> scripting languages. These could be done just by writing a desktop file to
> webslice. From user point of view I think they are separate applets.

if they are truly unique (in terms of function), that's true. if they are
simply "hey, look at this piece of that web page" then it's little different
from the comic plasmoid.

i think we need to experiment and see what comes of this before going much
further in making this approach part of libplasma.

humru othro a kohnu se