KDE's Plasma: How not to do lists...

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Mar 19 23:59:36 CET 2010

Hey Reinhold,

On Friday 19 March 2010 21:52:57 you wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 17. März 2010 14:14:17 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> > By the way, just strikes me that I've implemented VPN support in the new
> > Network Manager Plasmoid last week, and I've already some reports that it
> > seems to work well. What kind of VPN are you using?
>
> vpnc (http://www.zid.tuwien.ac.at/kom/tunet/vpn/vpnc/,theWLANIPSECcase)

We do have a VPNC plugin, though I haven't tried it myself. I'll see if I can find
someone who uses VPNC to test, I vaguely remember someone using VPNC having success
with the Plasmoid.

> > You can find the network management Plasmoid that has this in
> > kdereview/networkmanagement.
>
> Sorry, but I really don't have the time to compile anything myself in the
> next  few weeks.

No problem.

> > If you want to use the plasmoid (not
> > knetworkmanager), make sure the kded module for it is loaded. (I've
> > explained on my blog how to do that.)
>
> Hm, in your blog you don't add any screenshot, so I can only guess: The
> plasmoid is supposed to live on the desktop (or taking up a huge amount of
> space in the panel), right? Well, in my case, I don't have a look at the
> desktop 99.9999999% of the time (the remaining 0.0000001% were when Aaron
> told  me back in 4.1 days that to change the design of the panel I had to
> click on the desktop and configure that... This has thankfully changed
> since. And the other times are when I delete files downloaded by firefox.
>
> Anything that forces me to hide all the many windows that are open is an
> annoyance to me as a user.

Hehe, it doesn't. :) The widget would usually sit in the notification area, which
allows you to hide it if you want to save those pixels in your panel. You can click
it and it pops up from the panel and hides automatically when it loses focus.

If you want, you can put this widget also on the desktop, as marco says, but it is
designed primarily as a small informational item giving access to your network
settings and connections.

When the Network Management Plasmoid is installed, the notification area
configuration dialog gets an option to add it (as a 22x22 icon). This icon has a
status overlay, so you can directly see from the panel if you're connected and what
your default route is, in case you have more than one connection). You can show/hide
this icon, or let it do that automatically.

We've posted a Dot story only two days ago with some screenshots of the new
plasmoid:
http://dot.kde.org/2010/03/18/tokamak4-files-solid

Is that a bit closer to what would work for you?

sebas