KDE's Plasma: How not to do lists...

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 22:20:08 CET 2010

On Friday 19 March 2010, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 17. März 2010 14:14:17 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> > By the way, just strikes me that I've implemented VPN support in the new
> > Network Manager Plasmoid last week, and I've already some reports that it
> > seems to work well. What kind of VPN are you using?
>
> vpnc (http://www.zid.tuwien.ac.at/kom/tunet/vpn/vpnc/, the WLANIPSEC case)
>
> > You can find the network management Plasmoid that has this in
> > kdereview/networkmanagement.
>
> Sorry, but I really don't have the time to compile anything myself in the
> next few weeks.
>
> > If you want to use the plasmoid (not
> > knetworkmanager), make sure the kded module for it is loaded. (I've
> > explained on my blog how to do that.)
>
> Hm, in your blog you don't add any screenshot, so I can only guess: The
> plasmoid is supposed to live on the desktop (or taking up a huge amount of
> space in the panel), right? Well, in my case, I don't have a look at the
> desktop 99.9999999% of the time (the remaining 0.0000001% were when Aaron

plasmoids aren't supposed to be anywhere in particular. they are suppose to
behave correctly anywhere they are.
in particular networkmanager when is in the panel is a simple icon with a
poopup, and moreover can be embedded in the systray, taking up the exct space
a systemtray icon takes

Cheers,
Marco Martin