KDE's Plasma: How not to do lists...

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Fri Mar 19 21:52:36 CET 2010

Am Dienstag, 16. März 2010 20:53:35 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> to answer your concerns with the strip widget for Add Widgets:
[...]

Thanks for all the explanations.

> finally, i'd invite you to consider all the use cases for this listing: on
> the screensaver, on the dashboard, in plasma-netbook, for placing widgets
> on the desktop, for placing widgets on a panel in plasma-desktop. it
> becomes rapidly apparent during usage of the interface across these use
> cases that the old dialog with a vertical listing was really not great.

Okay. It is just my feeling that the horizontal list isn't better, either.

A while ago you wrote on your blog (unfortunately, I can't find it now)
something to the effect that people need to get on with new developments and
designs and not stick to the old ones. All others belong to a dying species
(I'm trying to rephrase this here from memory, so maybe I'm misremembering
something).

Maybe I really belong to a dying species who think that a computer should be a
tool that supports your work and not distract. Just making something shiny
might distract from the fact that something is annoying, but doesn't solve the
problem. Sometimes I really have the feeling that many aspects of plasma are
only about making an interface that looks great and shiny and awesome, but
adds distractions, annoyances and inconsistencies in many places.

Cheers,
Reinhold