Detecting when PopupApplet is iconified

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 19:10:34 CET 2010

On Friday 19 March 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On March 19, 2010, Marco Martin wrote:
> > -closed popupapplet
>
> note that this use case overlaps with containment without screen(),
> separate dashboard, etc.
>
> > -containment without screen()
>
> imho that's a case where the shell should simply choose what to stash and
> what to show.
>
> e.g. in the netbook case i don't want to have to wait for the widgets on
> page 2 to go through their data loading. i -want- them always updating.
> that's - why- i have them there. putting them on separate pages (and
> therefore not having a screen()) is a matter of the screen size not
> whether or not they should be updating.
>
> plasma-desktop is completely different in this way.
>
> > -separate dashboard (even worse, that is a containment that is never
> > assciated to a screen, but someties shown)
>
> i'm not sure about this one; if we view it as a "quick reference" then they
> do need to be updating regularly.
>
> conceptually it's no different than an autohiding panel.

well, i would say most of the times it's nicer to have  things updating all
the time. i'm just thinking about his use case: somethng that is really
expensive (say in term of bandwith, computing, hatever) to update.
then yes, unused containments on plasma-desktop is something that could
justify having it automated (even if some are really used so rarely here comes
the stashing and restore of activities done by Chani)

Cheers,
Marco Martin