4.5 - Activities

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 04:19:47 CET 2010

On March 9, 2010 18:49:54 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On March 9, 2010, Chani wrote:
> > visible activity? or should we decide that the activity is completely
> > global, and then figure out how to gracefully handle changes in the
> > number of monitors?
>
> there are two different topics here:
>
> * coordinating Context<->Containment
>
> * coordinating when a Containment is shown on a particular screen
>
> we already have code that manages the second point. the only thing it
> doesn't do currently is unload/reload containments automatically that are
> associated with a screen that goes away. but all the rest is done:
> creating containments as needed when screens appear, showing the right
> containment on the right screen, etc. what could be made better here is
> copying some settings like the wallpaper as todd points out, but i
> wouldn't worry about this part of the code when talking about Context.
>
> screen management is view and shell stuff.
>
> Context management is scene stuff, will probably touch Corona and/or
> Containment and will be universal to plasma applications.
>
> what will be needed is the ability to associate one or more Containments
> with a Context (already there), set a Context as the "current one" and get
> the set of Containments associated with that Context.
>
> the screen management will then go through the shell and its views as it
> already does, e.g. when a screen is connected or the Context is switched up
> plasma-destop will check to make sure that there are containments for all
> the screens.

well yeah, but then when the screen is disconnected you can't get at the
containment(s) that were on it until you reconnect a screen.
or do you think that's just not important?

now that I think about it, why *would* it be important?
the only case I can think of is someone putting a notes widget on the other
screen, with something important written down, and then forgetting to move it
to the primary screen before disconnecting. seems kinda unlikely.

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com