n+1st report about arrow keys in krunner

Diego Moya turingt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 13:48:10 CET 2010

On 8 March 2010 01:42, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> this reminds me about jokes about the difference between theory and
> practice.
>
> if we remove the history then we'll get to deal with tons of bug reports
> about
> how you can't do "alt+f2, up arrow, enter" which is a very, very common use
> pattern.
>
> Who says you can't do that? What you *shouldn't* do in this context is
opening a different list when pressing Up and when pressing Down. You still
can open the list when you press Up.

 that theory of "history isn't used" is, in the face of real world practice,

> dead wrong.

I dind't mean "history isn't used", I meant "history is not separate from
bookmarks", which is what the *practical* experiments performed on browser
history showed.

> > Every search function
>
> krunner is not a search tool. it can be used to search for things, but
> that's
> not the extant of its definition.

If it can be used to search for things, it's a search tool - whether the
designer wants it this way or not. It's the user who decides what the tool
does for them, not the programmer. If it has a search function, someone will
use it for search.

If the search tool conflicts with the tool's primary goal, either remove the
search functionality or make it not conflicting. There's a standard
interaction for "history+search from a predefined list". I say don't
reinvent the wheel, use the existing expected interface - or turn it into
something other than history+search.