n+1st report about arrow keys in krunner

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Mar 8 01:42:48 CET 2010

On March 7, 2010, Diego Moya wrote:
> On 28 February 2010 09:34, Aaron J. Seigo  wrote:
> > On February 27, 2010, Miha Čančula wrote:
> > > I suggest that the history should be added as just another runner. It
> >
> > would
> >
> > > show the last N used things when started, and then display a filtered
> >
> > list
> >
> > > when you write something.
> >
> > which does not address the issue of the interface by which to show such
> > history without getting in the way of actual results that match what is
> > currently being typed.
>
> Having separate lists for history and search results in the same widget is
> going to have usage problems, no matter what you do to invoke them.
> Information retrieval theory shows that the user doesn't care searching
> through history and searching through the list of pre-stored items, it's

this reminds me about jokes about the difference between theory and practice.

if we remove the history then we'll get to deal with tons of bug reports about
how you can't do "alt+f2, up arrow, enter" which is a very, very common use
pattern.

it took all of about 1 day to get bug reports on this when krunner first
showed up.

that theory of "history isn't used" is, in the face of real world practice,
dead wrong.

> Every search function

krunner is not a search tool. it can be used to search for things, but that's
not the extant of its definition.

> 4- Even if an item in the list is selected, typing new characters add them
> to the end of the current text field contents.

that would be a nice (and easy) feature add.

humru othro a kohnu se