Manual Hiding of Plasma Panel (desktop shell)

Diego Moya turingt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 12:12:43 CET 2010

Hi,

I'd like to step in to defend the interests of us KDE users who won't use
this feature. I want to make sure that it can be configured to not interfere
with my current workflow. My rational is that I've always found this KDE 3
panel feature a little bit annoying, and now the use case it provides
(showing and hiding alternate panel configurations) is better supported by
Activities in a more general way; so I won't have a need for manual hiding.
When I'm low of screen space I've always used auto-hide anyway.

One possibility is just having an option to disable it, and make "disabled"
the default setting. Users who remember the 'hide' button from KDE 3 will
know to turn it on, and those first introduced to KDE 4 won't find a feature
that changes the previous behavior of hotspots like the panel edges and the
screen border.

But if the 'hide' buttons can be implemented so that they don't interfere
with the current hot spots, I'm in to have them enabled by default. I liked
the idea someone proposed to create those buttons as plasmoids so that each
user can decide where to place them (either inside the panel or on the
desktop). I'm concerned about the buttons taking the screen or panel edges,
and/or displacing or overlapping the panel contents. If this is the behavior
of this feature, I'd certainly ask to have an option to disable it
completely.

Thanks for your attention.