Quicklaunch: Migrating storage to kio bookmarks

Ingomar Wesp ingomar at wesp.name
Tue Jun 29 00:41:27 CEST 2010

Hi there,

since you are probably all rather busy with fixing RC bugs, I'll make it short
;)

One of the things I'd like to work on for the 4.6 version of the quicklaunch
applet is getting rid of the "more icons" popup in favor a more modular
concept like folders.

Since I need some way to store the hierarchical structure and I would rather
not reinvent the wheel here, I thought I'd migrate the storage of which icons
are displayed to an XBEL file and access it through the kio bookmarks API. Not
only is this a pretty good match for what I need, but it would also have a few
other advantages (like not having to create .desktop files for every entry
just for storing custom names/icons/descriptions).

So my questions are:

- Are there any objections (dependency-wise or other) to this idea? I couldn't
  find a policy regarding allowed dependencies for applets in kdebase-
  workspace, so I just assumed everything in kdelibs is ok?

- Since I already made some progress and trunk is unfrozen, is it ok to
  check in in the half-finished and still broken version or should I work in
  private (maybe setting up a personal VCS) and commit only after the applet
  is in a usable state again?

That's all I can think of for now.

Best regards,
Ingo