plasma memory/pixmap leak ?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 2 21:58:06 CEST 2010

On June 2, 2010, R.F. Pels wrote:
> >> So, basically, the short answer is 'No'.
> >
> > there is no instrumentation system, no. much like most other plugin
> > based software out there. if you'd like to develop something, that'd
> > be great.
>
> Huh. Methinks that would require at least SOME community effort. Ehm,
> ISTM that this isn't something one can invent and develop on its own.
> Pointers? Where to start?

valgrind would be my suggestion for memory usage, though i'm not familiar
enough with what valgrind offers to allow sorting out what plugin is
allocating what.

pixmaps live in x.org and has only per-process reporting, but it could be
possible to instrument QPixmap as Alexis already noted for there. there is
Plasma::Svg which is the central place where all svg painting and usage
happens, but that doesn't give us a full picture of pixmap usage.

i really don't have any good answers for this. doesn't mean they don't exist,
of course.

> > we do have ways of finding out where problems are, though it's a bit
> > manual and involves running individual components. at least plasma
> > is highly componentized enough that things can be tested in relative
> > isolation.
>
> Pity. Basically, we're forgetting to address the pesky issue of
> instrumenting our work

there is a fair amount of instrumentation available, just not for resource
consumption, which is not a trivial matter.

given that we have the ability to run one plugin at a time in things like
plasmaengineexplorer and plasmoidviewer and tools like valgrind and
kcachegrind for "big picture" views it's been a situation we've been able to
at least live with.

humru othro a kohnu se