plasma memory/pixmap leak ?

Alexis Ménard menard at kde.org
Wed Jun 2 19:34:38 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On June 2, 2010, todd rme wrote:
>> >
>> > there is no instrumentation system, no. much like most other plugin based
>> > software out there. if you'd like to develop something, that'd be great.
>> >
>> > we do have ways of finding out where problems are, though it's a bit
>> > manual and involves running individual components. at least plasma is
>> > highly componentized enough that things can be tested in relative
>> > isolation.
>>
>> Would it be possible to set up a script that would automatically run
>> plasmoidviewer for a set period of time on each plasma applet and
>> measure memory output from the process over time?
>
> yes, but what's really required is user interaction.
>
> this could be driven by a, say, javascript env that allows authoring scripts
> which push synthetic events... it's all possible, but it needs time and effort
> put into it.

I catched the pixmap leak of the systray back in time by putting a
QDebug where Qt creates a X pixmap and use a static number to count
the allocations. Then when Qt deallocate the XPixmap I decrease this
static number. When you interact with Plasma you can see if this
number is growing too fast. No the best way though but at least I
catched this leak.