JJ: align these icons

Nuno Pinheiro nuno.pinheiro at kdab.com
Mon Jul 19 22:15:13 CEST 2010

A Segunda, 19 de Julho de 2010 19:52:56 Marco Martin você escreveu:
> On Monday 19 July 2010, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > BTW, to add to this question, why is the applet background drawn now
> > for the items in applet/activity browser!?
>
> to give a bit of background on this.
> at akademy me, aaron and aurelien had a little discussion on how make the
> applet browser better (yes, see the thread a little ago on the old vs new
> applet browser)
>
> one of the reasons come up on why an horizontal strip /seems/ slower to
> read was that one has to scan with the eye the icons before the names,
> requiring more thinking, so it came up the solution of the title over the
> icon, so it's the first thing you see.
> at that point icons seemed completely detached to the text, so something to
> join them was needed. the applet background seemed a good choice since
> those icons represent indeed, applets.
>
> what i don't like about it at the moment is that the current item
> background is almost invisible and the overlays over the applet backgronds
> (the infamous squircles) make the think quite heavy.
> i'm thinking about using a more transparent version of the current item
> indicator (that is already present in the themes since ages, just not used)
>
> Cheers,
> Marco Martin

that's the problem you never get a good connection between a text bit and a
icon bit because different areas of your brain take care of it, text is for
readability well icons is for recognition.... meaning after you read and make
the association between the text and the image, you stop reading all together
cuse you recognize the image faster than you read the text.

another reason for using maybe less abstract representational images the don't
help much on the recognition part....

--
Nuno Pinheiro | nuno.pinheiro at kdab.com | UI Designer