JJ: align these icons

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 20:52:56 CEST 2010

On Monday 19 July 2010, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> BTW, to add to this question, why is the applet background drawn now
> for the items in applet/activity browser!?

to give a bit of background on this.
at akademy me, aaron and aurelien had a little discussion on how make the
applet browser better (yes, see the thread a little ago on the old vs new
applet browser)

one of the reasons come up on why an horizontal strip /seems/ slower to read
was that one has to scan with the eye the icons before the names, requiring
more thinking, so it came up the solution of the title over the icon, so it's
the first thing you see.
at that point icons seemed completely detached to the text, so something to
join them was needed. the applet background seemed a good choice since those
icons represent indeed, applets.

what i don't like about it at the moment is that the current item background
is almost invisible and the overlays over the applet backgronds (the infamous
squircles) make the think quite heavy.
i'm thinking about using a more transparent version of the current item
indicator (that is already present in the themes since ages, just not used)

Cheers,
Marco Martin