Nested Panels

Giulio Camuffo giuliocamuffo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 18:09:21 CEST 2010

On Sunday 18 July 2010 17:55:04 todd rme wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Aaron Peterson
>
> <myusualnickname at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello, I have a general feeling that we cannot nest panels, I am
> > hoping that this is not true.
> >
> > What would it take to make a widget that is a panel?
>
> I would consider looking at the "container" widget, which allows you
> to put a widget on the desktop that can in turn store additional
> widgets.  I was thinking that a similar widget for which you can set
> an arbitrary containment type (desktop, panel, netbook, etc) (or as an
> option, inherit the parent containment type) would be good.  This
> would allow you, in practice, to make something very much like a
> nested panel if I am understanding what you mean correctly.  You can
> nest this widget, which allows you to make arbitrary panels layouts
> with any number of rows and/or columns.

The container widget is a Plasma::Applet, and Applets in Applets = bad and
troubles, so it is a nice toy but it is a temporary solution prone to
problems.
Containment in applet instead, is simply impossible. Plasma::Containment needs
a Corona to work, and to provide a Corona you must embed a QGraphicsView in
your applet. But Qt will protest because a QGraphicsView can't visualize
itself, cause it is in the same scene it should show. Showing in a
Plasma::Dialog doesn't change the thing

Believe me, i've tried and tried for months to do what you want, and realized
that GroupingDesktop is the only right way.

Greets, Giulio