[kde-promo] Plasma Media Center Branding

Stuart Jarvis stuart.jarvis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 21:09:02 CEST 2010

On Thursday 15 July 2010 17:03:02 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On July 15, 2010, Stuart Jarvis wrote:
> > Alternatively, maybe we have the app which is called $something  and can
> > run anywhere and also a very simple Plasma Media Center workspace for
> > full-time Media Center pcs that pretty much Plasma Desktop with different
> > defaults: no panels and maybe just a couple of system monitor widgets, a
> > button to launch $something and that launches $something full screen on
> > login.
>
> you've just described exactly what PMC will be. :)
>
> it can be used as:
>
> * a media center augmentation to Plasma Desktop or Netbook. in this case,
> it runs as a full-screen app and "takes over" the computer's display and
> interaction while running. kind of like a screen saver, only for media
> services and without requiring a password to exit.
>
> * the workspace itself. in such cases, launching random apps probably isn't
> part of the desired use cases, though that could indeed be supported fairly
> easily if it ended up falling into scope. generally, in this usage it would
> be used on a dedicated media center device connected to a large screen
> (t.v., projector, etc.) and used for media playback / storage exclusively.
>
> as such, i think the branding works as Plasma Media Center since in both
> use cases it becomes the work space one is interacting with. in the first
> use case, it's a temporary "overlay" while in the second case it is indeed
> the full workspace. in both cases, it's the exact same binary being run.

So we can market it as a workspace, while noting that you can switch to it
from within another workspace? (Much like you can switch from a Plasma Desktop
to a Plasma Netbook session without logging out, although that's uncommon and
not something we really push).

Cool, in that case I'm happy :-)

Cheers,
Stu