[kde-promo] Plasma Media Center Branding

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jul 15 18:03:02 CEST 2010

On July 15, 2010, Stuart Jarvis wrote:
> Alternatively, maybe we have the app which is called $something  and can
> run anywhere and also a very simple Plasma Media Center workspace for
> full-time Media Center pcs that pretty much Plasma Desktop with different
> defaults: no panels and maybe just a couple of system monitor widgets, a
> button to launch $something and that launches $something full screen on
> login.

you've just described exactly what PMC will be. :)

it can be used as:

* a media center augmentation to Plasma Desktop or Netbook. in this case, it
runs as a full-screen app and "takes over" the computer's display and
interaction while running. kind of like a screen saver, only for media
services and without requiring a password to exit.

* the workspace itself. in such cases, launching random apps probably isn't
part of the desired use cases, though that could indeed be supported fairly
easily if it ended up falling into scope. generally, in this usage it would be
used on a dedicated media center device connected to a large screen (t.v.,
projector, etc.) and used for media playback / storage exclusively.

as such, i think the branding works as Plasma Media Center since in both use
cases it becomes the work space one is interacting with. in the first use
case, it's a temporary "overlay" while in the second case it is indeed the
full workspace. in both cases, it's the exact same binary being run.

humru othro a kohnu se