definitions and package for plasma on meego

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Tue Jul 13 23:04:00 CEST 2010

On Tue 13 July 2010 3:49:53 pm Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi ...
>
> i (along with some other kde people) are in preliminary discussions with
> some companies regarding putting KDE and Plasma on devices. one in
> particular is looking at Plasma Netbook + modifications for a tablet
> device running MeeGo.
>
> this kind of opportunity will likely become more frequent, but as they
> appear they are usually going to be one time events: we will have one good
> shot with each company.
>
> right now, we're missing a very critical piece of the puzzle which is
> preventing these companies from starting to get involved in R&D type
> activities with us:
>
> 		we need a clear description of what "KDE on MeeGo" is.
>
> this includes:
>
> * build instructions for MeeGo
>
> * tarballs they can download with the relevant sources (could be just a
> list of links to existing tarballs we release)
>
> * lists of files/libraries that end up being installed as part of kdelibs
> and runtime on MeeGo
>
> * documentation of the MeeGo profiles (tablet, mobile) that go into kdelibs
>
> i know these are all "works in progress" type things, but if we have
> documentation on them, please speak up and post links so we can pass them
> on to the interested parties.
>
> there is some information here:
>
> 	http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Mobile
>
> but it's a bit spotty and not something we can hand to a 3rd party, really.
> there is also some interesting TODO's here:
>
> 	http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Mobile/PlatformModifications
>
> and some packaging docs here:
>
> 	http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Mobile/MaemoPackages
>
> but again, this is more in the category of "internal notes".
>
> i also have read the notes from the mobile BoF at akademy:
>
> 	http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Mobile/Meetings/Akademy2010#Minutes
>
> some great stuff there; but it's missing "documentation for 3rd parties".
> some may be tempted to say "but we aren't ready for 3rd parties", but
> that's incorrect: we are ready for early adopters who are ready and
> willing to help out and work with the code alongside us. it's an
> opportunity to get more people helping us instead of trying to do it all
> on our own like heros with the idea of having something "complete" one day
> to offer to 3rd parties. while many 3rd parties are going to want that
> "something complete", not everyone needs that and some are going to want
> to be involved in making it happen.
>
> i don't have the knowledge necessary to put together this kind of
> documentation, so i'm asking that those who do can come together and help
> me do so. if we can have a working meetng on irc sometime this week to do
> so, that would be great, too. i'd like to end up with some basic recipes
> on getting the KDE Dev Platform on MeeGo along with a slide presentation
> for the technical management, and i'm willing to do a lot of the writing
> if we can scrape together the technical information.

I plan on doing some heavy investigation/prodding of people to document the
full process of building RPMs for MeeGo packages... I have a mostly-working
(sic) plasma-mobile-meego package specfile, but yeah, no real guidance on how
to do that. I've yet to hear back from Fedora's MeeGo d00dz, so I will go
harass other people... Hold me to that please :)

> i'm available all of tomorrow and the next day to work on this. who will
> help out?

*raises his hand slowly* I'll be around as always in irc, etc.

Ryan

--
Ryan Rix
== http://rix.si/page/contact/ if you need a word         ==