Activity identicons v 1.99 :) (post-akademy)

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 13:21:52 CEST 2010

On Monday 12 July 2010, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> 0. Not going to discuss about the reasoning behind identicons again.
>
> 1. Activities are no more only /desktop-setups-group-of-widgets/ so
> making thumbnails can be counter-productive - you can keep the desktop
> empty in all activities and still want to use other activity-related
> features. Or if you like consistency, you could make the layout for
> all activities identical (for example a few folder-views)
>
> 2. Creating a set of predefined activities just so that the icon is
> auto-assigned? Very strange reasoning. You could argue that the
> predefining would also provide a standard widgets layout, but it is
> not plausible - the layouts in different 'types' can be quite the
> same, and layouts for the same 'type' can be totally different.
>
> 3. Showing the configuration dialogue on creation is a possibility
> that I have nothing against. But we still need different icons if the
> user doesn't want to set them.
>
> Cheerio

i basically agree on all points, as probably i already said, the way i would
like more is:
-still identicons as default, the set of round ones you posted would be a good
improvement already
-in the activity configuration, there would be something that looks like a
combobox to chose icons, that shows just the set of "20 good ones" or an
"other..." option
-chosing one of the 20 would still compose it with the colored ball
-chosing other would pop up the usual icon selection dialog, the icon wouldn't
be no longer composed in the ball since wouldn't really fit

Cheers,
Marco Martin