Activity identicons v 1.99 :) (post-akademy)

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at
Mon Jul 12 13:09:22 CEST 2010

0. Not going to discuss about the reasoning behind identicons again.

1. Activities are no more only /desktop-setups-group-of-widgets/ so
making thumbnails can be counter-productive - you can keep the desktop
empty in all activities and still want to use other activity-related
features. Or if you like consistency, you could make the layout for
all activities identical (for example a few folder-views)

2. Creating a set of predefined activities just so that the icon is
auto-assigned? Very strange reasoning. You could argue that the
predefining would also provide a standard widgets layout, but it is
not plausible - the layouts in different 'types' can be quite the
same, and layouts for the same 'type' can be totally different.

3. Showing the configuration dialogue on creation is a possibility
that I have nothing against. But we still need different icons if the
user doesn't want to set them.

While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard
I was staring straight into the shining sun