kdm-plasma question

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 19:18:11 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Shaun Reich <predator106 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, with kdm-plasma, essentially there is 1 plasmoid which is the
> basic "greeter". It's the login dialog that everyone sees on kdm.
>
> The plasmoid controls a lot of the authentication, and is akin to old
> kdm's "plugin system", whereby new PAM authentication methods could be
> made (think fingerprints, and any other kind of authentication).

Quick question: have you considered making it several plasmoids?  For
instance one for the username and password fields, one for the list of
users, one for the authentication button, and one for the
restart/shutdown/etc button?  I think allowing people to move, resize,
and position these independently would be very handy.  It might also
allow for different versions to be used for one widget and not for
others (so for instance a username/password field like KDM that shows
both at once, or like GDM that shows username then password), or for
certain optional widgets (like the user list) to be removed entirely.
At least in some cases it might require having the plasmoids able to
communicate with each other, which I am not sure is possible.

-Todd