kdm-plasma question

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 00:04:33 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Shaun Reich <predator106 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, with kdm-plasma, essentially there is 1 plasmoid which is the
> basic "greeter". It's the login dialog that everyone sees on kdm.
>
> The plasmoid controls a lot of the authentication, and is akin to old
> kdm's "plugin system", whereby new PAM authentication methods could be
> made (think fingerprints, and any other kind of authentication).
>
> The thing is..the authentication needs to be used in 2 other places so
> far...the shutdown dialog and the unlock widgets dialog. Both of which
> require root access (well, the former only requires it if kdm has it's
> settings set up to do so).
>
> So I thought that if I could somehow get the authentication *inside*
> the associated dialog, then it might make things (easier..hopefully.).
> Here is an example of what I was thinking...the textbox is the
> plasmoid and all outside of it is well..a qgraphicswidget.
>
> http://imagebin.ca/view/QsdYNzKs.html

so, i'm not sure plasmoids would have to be splitted too much in
components so little as a line edit, but if is this as is (didn't
followed the discussion about the kdm project in the details)

but if it does, said qgraphicswidget should be something owned by the
containment, that puts the autentication plasmoid there when it's
added, and makes it child of said qgraphicswidget

> With the shutdown dialog I would want to have 2 choices laid out
> linearly (horiz) which would be Plasma::IconWidgets. Then when one
> option is clicked, the other option(s) fade away and all that's left
> is the..for example, shutdown icon. Then the authentication(textbox)
> would be to the right of it. Then there is a cancel button
> (pushbutton) at the bottom right (like the ksmserver logout dialog)
>
> The shutdown dialog, as some of you may know, will offer GRUB boot
> options on the restart entry...
>
> Would it be easiest to somehow embed the authentication plasmoid
> inside said qgraphicswidget? Or would it be easier/better to let the
> plasmoid handle the presentation of all of it (actually presenting the
> entire unlock dialog, entire shutdown dialog, etc.) unfortunately that
> leads to a duplication of Ui components to some degree -- that I'm not
> fond of.

if it's only a couple of text boxes without any logic it's fine probably

> On the other hand, when the authentication type changes radically, I
> really don't know how well the layouts could respond..if we go the
> embedding route. Because the fingerprint system for example, is a lot
> different than the regular text entry authentication.

yes, i think it should be a fingerprint plasmoid, with a separate implementation

Cheers,
Marco Martin