Idea: Window management for 4.5

J Janz jj at juniorjanz.net
Fri Jan 29 21:06:48 CET 2010

 2010/1/29 Jonathan Schmidt-Dominé - Developer <devel at the-user.org>

>  Hi Plasma-Devs!

Well, I'm not one but ... still, I guess I bring some issues that, thought
deeper, could either help turning this ideas into something or sinking 'em
down. ;)

 Comments? Suggestions? Ideas?

I like the idea of getting rid of systray icons (or taskbar entries),
whenever systray icons also manage windows (amarok, kopete, ...). However,
having one behaviour to icon and another for text would possibly confuse
users, even because it's not very discoverable.

I myself have been thinking about taskbar items bringing systray icons's
menu but in the same context-menu. But don't know if it'd be too cluttered
sometimes.

On notifications above their own taskbar items (I also spent a little time
with this idea before -- but not that much to solve this issue, really) the
problem I see is when amarok and firefox (in the example) notify something:
where do the notifications go? Either they'd cover each other or get beside
each other (getting far from their taskbar entries -- and what if
konversation notifies something, too?!) or even be on top of each other (but
aligned with their taskbar entries), which would just look weird.

Do you see reasonable solutions for these issues?
--
"Eu sou a ressurreição e a vida. Quem crê em mim, ainda que morra, viverá; e