Idea: Window management for 4.5

Jonathan Schmidt-Dominé - Developer devel at the-user.org
Fri Jan 29 19:30:48 CET 2010

Hi Plasma-Devs!

Currently there are three central types of Plasmoids needed to use
applications efficiently: the windowlist, the systray and the quickstarter (or
icons, it is basically the same). Why not combine these features?

First of all there should be dock-like features (the plasmoid should combine
all these concepts to save space and to be comfortable): An application can be
reduced to an icon using the contex-menu. An icon-only application can still
run (like systray), closed or (if somebody has fun to implement this) freezed.

You see, I am not a good  designer. :D
There are two alternatives: Mix windows, icons-only and closed applications
(of course they would have to be marked) or (like in this "mockup") divide
them into three parts.
You see: there is no Amarok-systray-icon, but we should not need that. There
is already an icon we could use:

(maybe there should be a thin line between the icon and the application name)
By right-clicking on the name you would get the normal menu (it could also be
done vice-versa).
The systray also handles notifications. They should be integrated into such a
new concept:

You could hide notifications per application. The global notifier would be
used for general configuration. There was a really beautiful mockup, how to
embed progress-bars into the panel, in brainstorm, but unfortunately it has
been deleted.
I have heard Gnome has done something like this, but I have never seen it.

Comments? Suggestions? Ideas?
Jonathan

Automatisch eingefügte Signatur:
Es lebe die Freiheit!
Stoppt den Gebrauch proprietärer Software!
Operating System: GNU/Linux
Kernel: Linux 2.6.31.8-0.1-default