notifications, again :D

Jamboarder jamboarder at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 27 18:07:59 CET 2010

> From: Marco Martin

> problem is that atm there is no concept of importance in the spec
> and since all members are in the signarure of a single function call, no ways
> to add it in a compatible way.
>
> what we can do now is an ugly whitelist: this is from the powermanager, so i
> care more to see it

If it helps any, might the following interaction model handle "noisy" apps:
- provide a mechanism that allows the user to suppress the popup of notifications from any specific app.  Suppressed notifications would still get stored in the "stack" and would be reflected by the increase in notification count number - they just wouldn't popup.
- when a notification is triggered by an app whose notifications are not suppressed, only show that specific notification and no other part of the notification stack/history.  The notification count is perhaps enough to communicate that there are additional notifications beyond the current one being shown.
- when the user clicks on the (i) show the all notifications in the stack/history using whatever grouping/scrolling/etc. strategy you come up with. (I like the app grouping idea myself...)

A singularly systemic determination of importance/priority will
perhaps always run into a few grey areas that inevitably conflict with
what the user holds is important.  No not all areas are grey, but the
grey areas definitely exist.

I understand that chiming into an already long running thread from the peanut gallery is potentially not helpful.  This is meant to be purely constructive and not meant to be "you're all stupid, this is the only solution".

peace and much respect,
Andrew Lake