notifications, again :D

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 25 22:50:45 CET 2010

On January 25, 2010, Marco Martin wrote:
> -only one notification is shown at a time
> -still valid notifications scrolls automatically or after arrows press,
> like rssnow
> bottom arrow would switch from valid to recent expired notifications

i like the idea of one notification at a time as well as being able to scroll
through them.

there are some other design parameters here, too:

* what is shown automatically (popped up) as opposed to when the user clicks
on the icon

* how are jobs displayed

* how are notifications from multiple apps shown

when a notification first appears, right now it pops up along with everything
else that is also there. that's not particularly great for two reasons:

a) i've probably already seen the other information already, so it becomes an
unintentional "nagging"

b) it makes it harder to pick out what the new content is amongst all that old
content

so i think it would make sense to have a "what pops up" UI, and one-at-a-time,
scrolling one after the other if there are lots of them makes sense to me.

if there are lots of them, clicking the close button or the (i) icon should
dismiss the popup UI until new ones appear.

when clicking the (i) icon, i'd like to be able to see the last active
notification of each application. e.g. if kopete and kontact have both sent
out a notification to me, i should be able to see both if i purposefully click
the (i). however, if kopete has sent 10 notifications, i should probably only
see the most recent one, and be able to scroll through the older ones.

so perhaps there is a "notification scroller" widget? it can be used to
display all new notifications as they appear in the same scroller (regardless
of whether they come from different applications). it can also be used to show
all the notifications of any one application when the (i) is clicked.

an "expand" button in the auto-popup widget could expand to show the "full"
interface, which would therefore be synonymous with clicking the (i) when the
notifications UI closed.

but what about jobs? perhaps a similar mechanism but with some tweaks. the
summary view could be *in* the jobs tracker area instead of a separate item.
the jobs tracker could expand/contract to show all the jobs and the user could
page between them using the same scroller window? or perhaps it could expand
to show each active job as a one-liner:

	filename [--- progress bar       ]

and each of those could also be expanded to show the full informational widget
we have now.

by default it would show each download as a one-liner, and this could be
"minimized" down to show just the summary.

the remaining use case there would be someone who wants to see all jobs fully
expanded by default.

in any case, this would mean that the jobs area would only ever take one
"section" of the notifications UI, and each application would get at most one
section of its own as well.

when a job starts or a new notification appears, the "new things" scroller
appears and shows JUST the new items and autohides after a while unless the
user expands it to show the "full" display.

in fact, if we wanted, we could make the full display "collapasable" so that
it only shows the "new things" UI. in the code, i think these would probably
end up as two different widgets totally, but to the user it could appear that
it's the same widget (because it appears in the same location with similar
information in it) just expanding/shrinking in detail and size.

this would make it a drill-down type interface which shows more information at
once when the user requests it.

as for positioning ... maybe now that we can turn everything else on/off in
the system tray it's time to add a feature so that it is also able to be
disabled in a given tray.

in fact, maybe it's time it became it's own plasmoid altogether which is by
default hosted in the system tray.

humru othro a kohnu se