KDE Weather engine

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 19 23:37:11 CET 2010

On January 19, 2010, Shawn Starr wrote:
> > Unfortunately the weather station close to my city is not included in any
> > of the engines. So I was looking at implementing another weather engine
> > namely www.accuweather.com . It is used successfully by android.. But
> > then i wondered, what about licensing? Should i contact them first, does
> > KDE have some kind of policy on using online services, ...

we can only ship support for online services which allow us to do so. that
means they have allow for us to redistribute applications that use that
service in a fairly unrestricted fashion. we are completely Ok with falling in
line with requirements like "can't access the service more than once every N
minutes" or "must show an attribution link that can be clicked to bring up
additional information from our website". but free redistribution of our
software is a requirement.

if that's not possible, then the download-a-javascript-via-the-GetHotNewStuff-
window will be the fallback answer. :)

humru othro a kohnu se