KDE Weather engine

Shawn Starr shawn.starr at rogers.com
Tue Jan 19 23:11:53 CET 2010

On Tuesday 19 January 2010 17:05:19 Thomas Richard wrote:
> Hey Shawn,
>
> When looking at the SVN source code i found out you are the original writer
> of the weather engines currently in KDE. Great work!
>
> Unfortunately the weather station close to my city is not included in any
> of the engines. So I was looking at implementing another weather engine
> namely www.accuweather.com . It is used successfully by android.. But then
> i wondered, what about licensing? Should i contact them first, does KDE
> have some kind of policy on using online services, ...
>
> I hope you can help me a little further.
> Thanks for your time!
>
> Thomas Richard

Hi Thomas,

We are in the process of adding javascript bindings for dataengines so you
could write a plugin that a user could download separately from KDE. There is
also an example one in playground and there are some other pieces that are
being discussed with Aaron on the mailing list. Right now I've been focused on
real life and trying to find a job so I haven't been touching KDE code at the
moment.

There is support in the weather applet for online downloads but disabled for
KDE 4.4 but we will want this turned on for KDE 4.5.

I am cc'ing the plasma development list this email.

Thanks,
Shawn.