Tokamak4 is Go!

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Jan 19 01:12:08 CET 2010

Hi all,

I'm happy to tell you that the e.V. and Novell have agreed to sponsor February's
Tokamak4 Plasma, Kwin and Oxygen sprints. Novell has generously agreed to host us in
the time from February 19th to February 26th, and will also take over a large amount
of the travel costs we incur to bring everybody together in one place from February
19th to February 26th.

We need to understand a couple of things about Tokamak4, as it's quite an unusual
event for KDE so far. We've never had a sprint this big and this long. Usually, we
keep developer sprints smaller, as to make them more productive and provide real face
time for everybody. In the case of Tokamak4, we will be 25 people, the sprint will be
on for a whole week. (Of course not everybody can stay all the time, but it's still
huge.) We will also have some visitors (the "open day" thing we did in Randa worked
quite well, I think). The costs of the sprint for travel and accommodation exceed 10
thousand euro. :o

The e.V. has asked us to provide good information from Tokamak4, to communicate well
what's going on. This is needed to justify the donations the e.V. gets, and which
make it possible to organise these sprints in the first place. We'd like to see 3
separate Dot stories for the KWin, Oxygen and Plasma sprints to achieve this. On top
of that, please consider blogging about your activities (and cool stuff) when at
Tokamak4.

Also, we need to plan these sprints a bit better upfront to not make the size have
negative influence on our productivity. For planning, we'll use the coming weeks to
get a solid base to start from for T4.

For the accommodation, we will probably need to change beds after two days, as there
is a fair the first weekend in Nuremberg, and we weren't able to book the same
accommodation for the whole time. Will, can you follow up with the accommodation
plans, please?

Please make travel arrangements for the sprint asap, as ticket prices could pose
problems on our budgets (they don't get any cheaper). The normal process is that you
buy your tickets and have the costs reimbursed by the KDE e.V., using the travel
costs form you can find on ev.kde.org. We need your receipt for that, so don't lose
them (for online bookings, a print-out of the invoice sent to you by email is fine,
too). If you need assistance with booking your travel please contact Claudia Rauch
(rauch kde org), the KDE e.V.'s business manager to find a solution (or drop me a
note, by email or on irc).

sebas