"Yahoo! Weather" ion dataengine review

Amos Kariuki amoskahiga at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 06:00:16 CET 2010

Marco Martin wrote:

> On Monday 11 January 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> On January 10, 2010, Amos Kariuki wrote:
>> > Is there a need to use both kdereview (svn) and reviewboard or should I
>> > just submit a patch for review in reviewboard and ignonre kdereview?
>>
>> no, if it is in playground, move it to kdereview when it's ready.
>>
>> my biggest question before even looking at the code is licensing. what are
>> the license requirements that Yahoo! puts on this data?
> don't know if it's changed since some time ago.
> it was free for non profit entities, that would be ok for us...
> but could have potential problems for distributions
> (another point for making things scripted and downloadable via get hot new
> stuff)

The terms of use for the weather feeds are listed at
<http://developer.yahoo.com/weather/#terms>, although Marco brings up a good
point.  In this case assume there's no need to move this to kdereview until this
is resolved.

I'd actually considered scripting the 'ion' (as Shawn had also suggested in the
past) but I didn't see any examples of writing a DataEngine (in javascript--
which I wanted to use) so I assumed it wasn't possible at the time.

Amos Kariuki