Widget Explorer usability problems

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 11 21:48:53 CET 2010

On January 11, 2010, Sean wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The widget explorer has some serious usability issues in my view, which I'd
> like to highlight.
>
> 1. Having to click 10 times via the end arrows  just to get to the end of
> the widgets is bad(Yes I know you can use the mouse wheel).

i'd like to see click-and-hold semantics.

> 2. Having to click 9 times just to get to the end of the category's filter
> end is bad.

click and hold.

> 3. There are too many categories. Give the user a small selection and this
> will in turn give some UI space back.

do you have suggestions for which categories are redundant?

> 4. The two problems above are compounded by having a smaller resolution.

your list has a usability issue: not all of the items in the list are actually
usability issues. hehe, sorry, i COULDN'T resist ;)

> 5. Tooltips are huge when you mouse over the widgets, with a lot of wasted
> space.

yes, looks like some missing adjustSize()s

> 6. An option is needed to remove running widgets.

why? (and just to warn you, we've already been through this one; i have yet to
see any compelling reason to add this to the UI)

> 7. Don't overlay a small tick on the widget's image to show they're
> running(especially on a blue coloured widget icon, since the tick is blue).
> It doesn't clearly show what widget is running, despite the fact the
> category shows a "running" filter.

we either need better artwork for that or a better way to communicate it. it's
something people wish to see, apparently. personally, i'd be fine with it not
being shown at all.

humru othro a kohnu se