Widget Explorer usability problems

Sean suseux at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 11 21:22:42 CET 2010

Hello all,

The widget explorer has some serious usability issues in my view, which I'd
like to highlight.

1. Having to click 10 times via the end arrows  just to get to the end of
the widgets is bad(Yes I know you can use the mouse wheel).

2. Having to click 9 times just to get to the end of the category's filter
end is bad.

3. There are too many categories. Give the user a small selection and this
will in turn give some UI space back.

4. The two problems above are compounded by having a smaller resolution.

5. Tooltips are huge when you mouse over the widgets, with a lot of wasted
space.

6. An option is needed to remove running widgets.

7. Don't overlay a small tick on the widget's image to show they're
running(especially on a blue coloured widget icon, since the tick is blue).
It doesn't clearly show what widget is running, despite the fact the
category shows a "running" filter.

Here is a link to my old mockup design of which I didn't add categories or a
close button because it was in it's early stages.
http://www.opendesktop.org/content/show.php/Plasma+-+Add+Widgets+Mockup?content=101423

I understand it maybe too late to change such issues but the usability just
let's the widget explorer down a lot. We already have bug reports about
usability.

Thanks

Regards

Sean Wilson (Half-Left)