how can I access DataEngines from JavaScript in the Web Plasmoids?

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 11:18:21 CET 2010

On Tuesday 05 January 2010, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 January 2010 00:54:53 Patrick Aljord wrote:
> > > but if the world goes "all in" on the web technology
> > > boat 100% we will be in a world of pain as time goes on.
> >
> > I don't think so, stuff like canvas, web sockets, fast js engines,
> > webgl or even native client will turn the browser into a powerful
> > platform not only for traditional web apps but I guess time will tell.
>
> It doesn't address one important design principle in the least: Separating
>  content from layout and logic. The web fails here today, and none of these
>  new technologies suggests that it won't in the future.
>
> And if it's not WebGL, then we'll just get more flash apps, and maybe other
> proprietary runtimes in the future.
>
> Where's this separation of data and presentation? Where's the semantic web
>  that's been talked about for 10 years? Seriously, today's web sucks, and
>  it doesn't look good for tomorrow's.

there is a problem of mentality here that i'm starting to doubt it woud ever
be overcomed: website owners want 100% control over the final look of the web
site/web app that will be presented to the user. things like semantic web
basically says: present the -content- in a way that makes sense for a machine,
then it becomes trivial to present the data in the exact form the -user- or,
the one wo designed the software that parses this content wants.
this scares contents creators to death, becase it will remove control from
them (especially because it becomes very easy to do things such as remove ads)
so now we have sites that explicitly forbids web scrapping or even if they
provide a sensible api its license is so ridiculous that's almost impossible
to actually use it and stay legal.

Cheers,
Marco Martin