widget snap

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jan 3 02:49:07 CET 2010

On January 2, 2010, Marco Martin wrote:
> >  better. they need to be:
> > * sharable between Containments (for consistency and code sharing)
> >
> > * allowed to be specific to the application or the Containment
>
> sick idea: how about making handles plugins? the base is really minimal, so
> most of the implementation could be shipped alongside the workspace..

yes, i think this may be the direction we end up going in, just as we did for
mouse actions.

> > * be able to coordinate with the Containment on layout issues
>
> i don't know if something could be shared in really different situations
> (free layout vs panel, could it be any code sharing at all?)

probably would need to be up to the Containment (with the default being
sensible behavior), but this "doesn't work everywhere" is exactly why there
was the idea of ContainmentType. looks like we may need to expand how that
works a bit however.

> > * have logic for things like "moving to another Containment" moved
> > outside
> >
> >  the handle to API that is available to the handle but which is actually
> >  "native" to the Applet class so that we get rid of the "when you use the
> >  handle, it behaves this way; when you click on the applet it behaves
> >  that way" behaviour
>
> that also reminds me how bad at the moment Applet::registerAsDragHandle()
> works..

we could fix this at the same time as well, then, by giving some control over
this to the Containment perhaps.

humru othro a kohnu se