Concerning the KDE 4 Digital Clock widget

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Wed Feb 24 20:43:24 CET 2010

First, sorry for not having gotten up with you on this earlier, I've been very
busy lately.

On Saturday 13 February 2010 05:16:50 Maki Jaderborg wrote:
> I was wondering if the digital clock widget present in KDE 4, which lists
> you as the author, could be configured like the PHP date() option.
> http://php.net/manual/en/function.date.php

Unfortunately, it cannot. :(

> LXDE has a digital clock which works like that, allowing me to use a
> "Ymd.Hi" date/time setup. Even in KDE 3.5 the digital clock allowed me to
> use a "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM" option, which isn't PHP but which would be
> preferable over the current digital clock options which limit
> customisation of a critical part of the KDE system too much to my liking.
>

> I ask because the current way of displaying both time and date causes a
> critical displacement of the actual time, as well as offering only a "d M
> Y" scheme, which requires me to calculate the actual numerical
> representation of the month as well as transform this date, "13 Feb 2010"
> at the time of writing, to "20100213" which is required for proper
> management of the data stored on my network.
>
> Integrating a similar system as LXDE, where the PHP date() standard could
> be utilized to allow each user their own personalized representation of
> the time and date would be a major improvement for a critical system like
> a digital clock.

That's indeed a good idea, however I don't think it fits with the design of
the digital clock we're shipping with KDE Workspace. It is infact supposed to
be a simple clock that will fit most cases without needing a pletora of
configuration options. It is exactly to addresss use cases like yours that we
made very simple to extend or replace all the components of the workspace.
If you can code in Javascript or C++, or ruby or python, you can create a new
clock, and you can distribute it through Get Hot New Stuff (via opendesktop)
or we can include it with the next KDE SC. There are some tutorials on
techbase, and you can get some help on plasma-devel at kde.org or the #plasma IRC
channel on Freenode.

> I'm not good at giving constructive criticism, and I must admit this is the
> first time I contacted someone responsible for a project like a KDE
> digital clock widget, so I do hope my comments above are not seen as too
> offensive, but more as the words of someone inexperienced in giving
> feedback on these matters.

Don't worry, they're friendly, and this kind of feedback is really
appreciated. :-)
Thanks!

-Riccardo
Hasiti Lapé Hetep Malu Mир Wolakota Santiphap Irini Peoch שלום