Help adding plasma in Skrooge

Guillaume DE BURE guillaume.debure at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 21:09:43 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

Skrooge currently has a module called Dashboard that contains several widgets showing various information about your financial situation. We implemented that using standard KDE/Qt technologies, but it always looked to me like a plasma view with "skroogoids" inside. We've started a plasma implementation of it (disabled in CMakeLists.txt), but I realize using plasma inside applications is not yet a common feature (Amarok being a very noticable exception), hence not yet documented.

After some rather pathetic attempts, I realize I don't have enough experience to do this on my own: I hardly do any coding in Skrooge, and Stephane, the main developper is busy with other subjects.

I was wondering if someone here would like to give a hand with this ? This would also be an opportunity to add more tutorials on techbase.kde.org to help other apps getting started should they need plasma. What we need at this stage is (with my understanding of plasma, I may be wrong on some points):

* implement a newspaper view that will receive skroogoids.
* write a dataengine providing data from the current skrooge file (which is in fact an SQLite database).
* create some skroogoids that should be displayed in the newspaper view. Ability to display them on the desktop, without skrooge being opened is something to be discussed (a skrooge file may be password protected using QCA, no idea how this could be handled).
* save the dashboard config inside the Skrooge file (currently not supported by plasma, IIRC)

Or maybe the whole thing could be a GSOC subject ?

Guillaume
--
Skrooge, a personal finances manager powered by KDE 4.x
http://skrooge.org