Idea: Window management for 4.5

Emdek emdeck at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 01:08:53 CET 2010

On 01-02-2010 at 00:43:18 Chani <chanika at gmail.com> wrote:
> On January 31, 2010 15:02:40 Emdek wrote:
>> icon
>> >
>> > hm; i'm not sure i understand what you are referring to exactly. could
>> > you
>> > provide more details? thanks :)
>>
>> I mean that (if user enable option to connect notifications with tasks)
>> when there is new notification, then icon (own if cannot be connected
>> with
>> window or that shared with task entry) starts for example blinking and
>> notification (as widget with information) is shown after clicking on
>> icon
>> or on entry in it's context menu.
>> This is only idea for my applet, and it may be changed during
>> implementation phase.
>
> having to click to read the notification would fail very, very badly if
> it was
> the "your computer will suspend in ten seconds" notification. :)

Sure.
Is there notification property that defines it's importance level?
Then these could be shown in different way, for example fully visible from
start or more aggressive icon animation etc.

> it also forces the user to act (they probably can't know if they need to
> handle it until they've read it), so it's not a good idea in general.

That's why it will be optional and will default to off.

> show it
> when it arrives, *then* hide it.

It can be always an option, but I don't want to add hundred options for
one thing that is only small addition. ;-)

> as for the rest of your ideas... i can haz mockups? :) pictures make it
> much
> easier to understand these things.

Nope.
Screen shots will come when it will be done. ;-)
And this will be after 10.02.2010 (thesis), I hope that before end of
March but I can't guarantee (many my other projects also want my attention
:-D).

--
Best regards,
Michał