The state of KWin

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Dec 26 19:13:17 CET 2010

On Sunday, December 26, 2010, Markus Slopianka wrote:
> On Sunday 26 December 2010 14:19:37 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > just cannot understand that problems like slowness of Present Windows
> > with NVIDIA is reported by users in the beta phase several month after
> > the code hit trunk!
>
> I would be cool if there was a separate "kwin-test" (or so) package that
> depends on the latest stable Platform/Workspace and whose KWin binary also
> has a different file name and whose settings are stored in different
> files.

this is primarily a packaging issue: when you build from sources, you can
already have a different target install directory and keep different version
builds separate (i have the default suse 4.x install and my svn trunk install,
for instance; from time to time, i use apps from the suse packages that i
haven't built from sources myself)

the catch is that plasma-desktop/netbook often relies on kdelibs of the same
age, so it can be difficult to have just current plasma without also having
current kdelibs. since kdelibs is forwards compatible, this doesn't pose a
problem for other apps aready on the system.

kwin itself is likely more resistent to needing current kdelibs, so it could
be possible to just provide that + some libs from kdebase-workspace.

what i am hoping is that once we have falled into a working routine with git
that we will have a branch that is used for release only that remains pretty
darn stable, getting updates every couple of weeks only, making it reliable
enough for daily usage by testers in your situation. this doesn't solve if for
the rest of kdelibs and kdebase, at least not yet, but perhaps it's a step in
the "right" direction.

even now, svn trunk is only very occassionally in a bad state (most people
overestimate the troubles of it), so i don't think we have all that much
further to go with git to really get to a "can be used for testing in a daily
manner" place.

humru othro a kohnu se