Plasma desktop init scripting

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Dec 21 21:29:25 CET 2010

On Tuesday, December 21, 2010, Jamie Birse wrote:
> HI KDE devs,
> I have posted this problem on formum.kde.org and it was suggested I
> contact this email for help
> My post:
> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=92001
>
> So the short story is I can not get the plasma-destop/init/ script to
> set the wallpaper or apply icon changes.

all of these things work in 4.6, a few work in 4.4 and quite a bit more in
4.5. so there are some version-to-version improvements that may be biting you.

it is up to the individual plasmoid to implement configChanged() properly; i'm
not sure if quickaccess (a 3rd party plasmoid that is quite popular) does
this.

as for wallpapers, this:

activity.wallpaper = "/usr/share/wallpapers/linuxmint";

is incorrect. this is correct:

activity.currentConfigGroup = new Array("Wallpaper", "image");

and then you need to use activity.writeConfig to set the values of things like
the wallpaper image.

this is also incorrect:

activity.writeConfig("wallpaperplugin", "image");
activity.writeConfig("wallpaperpluginmode", "SingleImage");

you should instead use:

activity.wallpaperPlugin = "image"
activity.wallpaperMode = "SingleImage"

you are probably the third person to ask about this. evidently we need to add
an example for wallpaper setting to
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeexamples/plasma/javascript/plasma-shell-
scripting/

> BTW: I really like the ECMA scripting for configuration management of
> desktops. Keep up the good work.

:)

humru othro a kohnu se