Automatic activity switching and other stuff -- thoughts for 4.7

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Tue Dec 21 01:38:57 CET 2010

Hello Ivan,

On Sun 19 December 2010, plasma-devel at kde.org <plasma-devel at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, I'd avoid automatic switching unless explicitly requested by
> the user (aka, don't automatically switch to work-tagged activity when Alice
> arrives at work unless she somehow requested that she wants it to switch
> automatically in that case).

Of course, none of this would be automatic, just as users aren't forced to
create activities outside of the default one currently. :) Basically, as I see
it, you'd provide a KCM accessible from the AM or somewhere else which would
allow users to define actions like "when X happens, do Y", where X and Y are
the two types of plugins.

Doing things like this without asking would just lead to wailing and gnashing
of teeth, even from me ;)

> As for the other stuff - the tagging can go via Nepomuk - activities are
> (some basic info like icon and description) stored in it. The usage
> statistics will not be stored in Nepomuk, but most probably Zeitgeist.
> (nepomuk will hold summarized stats instead of each event).
>
> The tags on places, whatever and activities should (IMO) only be used for
> sorting the activities when presenting them to the user in the A.M.
>
> If you want auto-switching, I'd rather go (if you decide to use Nepomuk) for
> direct link between a place and an activity. Tags can be ambiguous.

*nod* makes sense.

--
Ryan Rix
== http://rix.si/page/contact/ if you need a word         ==