Picture Frame plasmoid

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Dec 20 21:14:42 CET 2010

On Friday, December 17, 2010 20:59:38 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday, December 17, 2010, Chuginator wrote:
> > Instead of restricting the user to specific pictures of the day, why not
> > open it up and allow an image URL?
>
> good idea; probably the easiest way to do that would be to extend the potd
> DataEngine. my suggestion:
>
> * create a service for the Providers source that has "addProvider" and
> "removeProvider"; this would save the results in a config file (or
> separate  .desktop files for each; either would work fine)
>
> * have a generic, built-in, provider that uses a provided URL as the image
> location that uses those
>
> * check for such defined providers on potd startup and offer them
> alongside  the other providers
>
> then adding support for this in the plasmoid would be simple and
> straightforward.
>
> extra points for adding a QScript backend much like the comics engine did
> so  more complex providers can be added / downloaded from the web.

* Do the same trick as we do with the MediaWiki runner: specify the applet
shared library, and initialize the applet with an URL passed in through X-
Plasma-Argument= from the .desktop file.

That way, you can even distribute your favorite picture of the day just using
a single .desktop file. The implementation should also be quite trivial.
--
sebas