windows and default activity assignment

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Dec 1 08:36:15 CET 2010

On Tuesday, November 30, 2010, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> There are a few things more that need to be done for 4.7:
> - In 'Adwanced Window/Application Settings' - show on specified/all
> activities - an application should be able to request to be on all
> activities (because it handles them internally - kmail, kopete..., or
> don't care at all about them - amarok, yakuake...)

i agree .. sort of.

i really don't think this should be up to apps in an explicit "set on all
activities" sense, anymore than how they are displayed in the system tray is
completely up to them. what we need is information about what the application
is "about" and then let the _system_ make decisions based on that. this way we
don't need to convince all app devs to do the "right thing" (a definition
almost certain to drift with time and our growing expertise) and it lets us
change the results in one place.

yes, this means coming up with suitable metadata to use with windows.

> I don't mind postponing this for 4.7, but it is something that we will
> need at some point - since it is more natural. (the document vs other
> app distinction is problematic - see gimp in MDI mode)

there will always be exceptions. the goal should probably be to get something
95% right with ways to alleviate the occassional incorrect guesses. the gimp
is not particularly interesting, tbh: it's document centric, and can
stop/start with activities just fine?

humru othro a kohnu se