kdereview: adjustable clock

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Aug 26 21:38:45 CEST 2010

On Thursday, August 26, 2010, Emdek wrote:
> In my ideal world kdeplasma-addons would not exists at all and it's
> contents would be moved mostly to extragear, few useful ones moved to
> kdebase.

i don't think there are any in there that should be moved to kdebase (in fact,
if i had my way, i'd move a few out of kdebase and into addons).

we used to just have "base" and "extragear" back in the day ... the binary
compat issues bit us, though, and release team said "move them out of
extragear", so kdeplasma-addons came into being.

even if everything moves into extragear, or some similar large melting pot,
i'd still like to see at least two sets of addons there:

* ones that we put a "Plasma Seal of Approval" on and which we make available
in a package on the KDE Release Day

* ones that are available as additional extras, which the core Plasma team
doesn't have to particularly agree with design-wise, which don't have to meet
any specific quality requirements, etc.

this split allows us to offer more addons that the Plasma team takes
responsibility (e.g. maintenance) for, while bringing more of the plasmoid
writing community together in one place. as many of the third party plasmoids
as we could put together the better, community-wise, imho.

we achieve that right now with kdeplasma-addons and the possibility of an
extragear package. with git and redmine, we may reexamine the repository
approach, but the end results should be the same.

humru othro a kohnu se