multi-screen management

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Aug 18 22:27:12 CEST 2010

On Wednesday, August 18, 2010, Björn Ruberg wrote:
> Thinking about it, I'm wondering if theses thoughts are not simply too
> complicated. One idea: We have already something in KDE 4.5 in place called
> "activities". They are just about what this is about: containments.
> So, why not make it simple. Every time an additional screen is connected to
> the machine, a new acitivity is created and displayed, let's call it
> desktop2. This activity shows up in the activity manager and can be
> activated on another screen, deleted or whatever (might not be able to run
> on two screens of course). So no need for a new manager from this point of
> view, just use the existing one.

Activities are global to the desktop session; desktop containments are local
to a screen. it doesn't make sense to show a new activity for a screen, since
the activity is, well, global to the session. an Activity will have at least
one containment for each screen (and possibly one for each virtual desktop for
each screen).

otherwise, i agree with the idea about trying to re-use the existing manager.

as for thumbnails .. it's likely posible to do so for currently running
containments, but much harder to do for ones that aren't running.

humru othro a kohnu se