multi-screen management

Björn Ruberg bjoern at ruberg-wegener.de
Wed Aug 18 21:23:28 CEST 2010

An Mittwoch, 18. August 2010 08:42:40 schrieb Chani:
> so... we had planned to have a little tool for managing the containments of
> multiple screens, in 4.5 - but there wasn't time. multiscreen has
> improvements, but also regressions - well, *a* regression - you can't
> access the containment of a screen that's not plugged in. the same applies
> to the per-desktop view stuff (they have a lot in common).
>
> anyways, jpwhiting said he might be willing to implement such a tool, and
> yesterday I was inspired (compelled?) and found myself writing about how
> such a tool may look and act: http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Multiscreen
>
> feedback would be very welcome. :) and since I know many of us hate
> clicking links, here's the current text copy&pasted:
>
> Plasma/Multiscreen

I first thought this is about managing multiple output screens from plasma -
something I'm interested in - until I noticed it's just about plasma
workspaces. I think it might be very confusing for the users to have a screen
management and a completly different workspace management. That should be
avoided.

Thinking about it, I'm wondering if theses thoughts are not simply too
complicated. One idea: We have already something in KDE 4.5 in place called
"activities". They are just about what this is about: containments.
So, why not make it simple. Every time an additional screen is connected to
the machine, a new acitivity is created and displayed, let's call it desktop2.
This activity shows up in the activity manager and can be activated on another
screen, deleted or whatever (might not be able to run on two screens of
course). So no need for a new manager from this point of view, just use the
existing one.

For displaying containments in the activity manager one idea - I learned that
plasma is great in effects like scaling. Why not scaling the containments down
to thumbnail size and display them lively in the activity manager? Would be
enough to make a single screenshot-pixmap for every activity. This is a
suggestion for the existing activity manager as well - but probably you
already thought of this.