preview in wallpaper dialog

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 14:03:15 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 11 August 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 11, 2010, todd rme wrote:
> > I would say the mandlebrot wallpaper also benefits from this, since
> > you can see how the colors you select work in practice.  Although it
>
> easy enough with an in-line preview, but in practice i don't find it a
> necessity. the colours are fairly obvious and hitting "apply" shows me what
>  the real thing is going to end up looking like.

recapping:
* for some wallpaper kinds the monitor preview is just redundant information
* in some wallpapers is easy to build previews without actually using the
Wallpaper rendering (images, something else?)
* the live preview is quite an important information for some other wallpapers
that change radically depending on the settings and is not possible to have a
thumbnail grid, so to see what this is about the only way would be apply and
then figure out how to undo if one doesn't like the result
* i find reall, really, really overkill a button that shows a fullscreen
preview of the wallpaper

in the end, if a little live preview is needed should be up to the wallpaper
implelentation.
the attached patch is a first quick and dirty implementation of tat:
the need of the monitor is decided by Wallpaper::setNeedsPreview(bool)
that at the moment is default off
Image would have it off, slideshow on, mandelbrot and barble on and whatever
each individual wallpaper needs it or not.

the monitor is now put uder the plugin selection combobox giving a vertical
layout.
as a sideeffect, user interfaces like the slideshow one that looked too empty
and squshed together, now with the monitor look more "full" but at the same
time more spaced

if the idea is good will reviewboard it

Cheers,
Marco Martin