Review Request: battery: change brightness on mouse wheel

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 1 18:48:49 CEST 2010

On Sunday 01 August 2010 16:52:07 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> Most laptops have
specific keys (Fn+X) to change the brightness, so I'm
> not sure about add a
second plasmoid just to do that by default.

> Anyway, I don't really see
an issue with the current Battery plasmoid,
> it does what it has to
imho.

Most laptops also have keys for volume and we have an OSD for
displaying while pressing them, but that doesn't mean we don't need the
Volume plasmoid and should hide the volume slider away in the Now Playing
plasmoid instead.

Same goes for suspend, wireless,  multimedia, expose,
dashboard, battery, eject and menu which are all on my keyboards, or even
standard key mappings like for copy and paste.

Not every form factor is
guaranteed to have convenient buttons for everything or anything (e.g.
mobiles), and it's a useful visual confirmation for users of the current
status separate from their battery status.  I see no harm in providing users
that option.  It's also the only logical way to implement mouse-wheel for
brightness, which you seem to think would be useful too :-)